Nadal, Murray eye semi-final blockbuster

first_img Ferrer will be playing in a 10th successive Grand Slam quarter-final on Wednesday. He has little time for the critics who wrote off Nadal on the eve of Roland Garros after his countryman endured his worst European claycourt season in a decade. Murray is bidding to make the semi-finals for the second time after also reaching the last four in 2011. He has already endured a testing Roland Garros where he played the longest fifth set of his Paris career to beat Philipp Kohlschreiber in the third round. Murray then won plaudits for his sportsmanship by conceding a point to Fernando Verdasco in a stormy fourth round encounter. The Scot will take a 3-2 career lead over Monfils into Wednesday’s match. Monfils won their last match at the Paris Masters in 2010 and also won their only other meeting at Roland Garros in the first round back in 2006. 10 in row for Ferrer The personable 27-year-old, a semi-finalist in 2008, faces Wimbledon champion Murray in the latest episode of a rivalry which began when they were children. “It’s been a long time I’ve known him, and it’s always fun to play against him,” said Monfils who was 11 while Murray was 10 when they first met in the renowned Les Petits As junior tournament in the French town of Tarbres. Twelve months ago, Nadal allowed his Davis Cup teammate just eight games in a desperately one-sided final while, in 2012, Ferrer claimed a meagre five games in their semi-final. But the 32-year-old got the upper hand the last time the two met with a straight sets quarter-final win in Monte Carlo in April. “The past is past. I can think about the past in a few years when I will be in Mallorca fishing or playing golf,” said Nadal. “My back can be pretty unpredictable,” said Nadal. “In Australia (where he needed treatment in the final) I felt some pain, and here in Paris I try to co-exist with this pain. But sometimes it changes. I’m not lying.” Nadal also believes that his almost perfect record in the French capital as well as his dominance over Ferrer will count for nothing on Wednesday. “He’s No. 1 in the world. Rafael won the Masters in Madrid, reached the final in Rome (against Novak Djokovic) and that was a close match. Rafael is always the favourite and it is always difficult to beat him.” Like Ferrer, Monfils is also searching for a first Grand Slam title. Nadal, the eight-time champion and bidding to become the first man to capture five Roland Garros titles in succession, takes a 21-6 career record into his quarter-final with fellow Spaniard Ferrer, the man he beat in last year’s final.center_img Upd. on 10/06/2014 at 15:37 CEST The world number one, who turned 28 on Tuesday, has had an untroubled path to the last-eight, facing his biggest challenges off the court with a steady stream of questions over his pre-tournament form and the state of his troublesome back.His 6-1, 6-2, 6-1 win over Serbia’s Dusan Lajovic in the fourth round, where he allowed his oppponent just 15 points on his serve, took his record in Paris to 63 wins and just one loss. But still the questions remain over whether or not he will have the staying power to lift the Coupe des Mousquetaires for a ninth time on Sunday and claim a 14th Grand Slam title which would put him just three behind the record held by a declining Roger Federer. EFE Murray can recall his first sight of Monfils. 03/06/2014 “He used to play with glasses. He had shaved hair, but like quite a high cut. Yeah, he was the same as he is now. He was just a great athlete, moved unbelievably well, smiling on the court,” said Murray. “He’s always been a great entertainer, and he’s great for the sport.”last_img read more

Read More →

PLAYER RATINGS: Argentina v Germany individual marks

first_img Manuel Neuer 7 – Kneed Higuain in the head and could have given away a penalty, but was otherwise flawless. 13/07/2014 Benedikt Howedes 5 – Could have seen red for a poor first-half lunge, later hit the post with a header. Argentina had the beating of him.  Miroslav Klose 6 – Didn’t see any of the ball but kept Argentina’s defenders occupied.  Ezequiel Garay 7 – The star defender for Argentina, kept his colleagues in check and ran a tight ship.  Mats Hummels 6 – Usually a reliable performer but clearly tired and made a couple of errors.  Lionel Messi 6 – People will remember his poor free-kick before the end, but Messi didn’t play badly. Caused trouble in the first half but tired in the second. Could have done better with one shot that whistled inches wide of Neuer’s far post.  Philipp Lahm 7 – Provided the same, consistent, reliable quality he always does. Argentina:  Pablo Zabaleta 6 – Hard graft but not always disciplined enough, making a couple of poor challenges.  —————————– Javier Mascherano 8 – Fantastic, warrior-like display, crucial for his side. However, was booked for foul on Klose and could have been sent off for a second (and third) offence in extra-time. Jerome Boateng 8 – Made several brilliant challenges and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.  Upd. on 14/07/2014 at 00:00 CEST Enzo Perez 6 – Worked hard and was useful in helping Argentina maintain their balance, making way for Gago after 85 minutes. Gonzalo Higuain 5 – Missed an incredible chance early on when he just had Neuer to beat. Had the ball in the net but was correctly ruled offside and took a knee to the head from Manuel Neuer. Really not his night.  Andre Schurrle 7 – Fine run down the left and accurate cross for the winning goal. A threat otherwise, with one goal-bound shot palmed away.  Fernando Gago 6 – Contributed to the midfield battle but could not add anything special. Substitutes Mario Goetze 7 – Was kept fairly quiet but produced a brilliant control and finish to become Germany’s hero.  Rik Sharma Germany:  Per Mertesacker N/A Toni Kroos 5 – His worst performance of the tournament. Should have done better with two shots from the edge of the box.  Christopf Kramer 5 – Drafted in for Sami Khedira only minutes before kick-off, his game was ended early when he took a shoulder to the face in the box. Had little chance to get involved in the play.  Sergio Romero 7 – It didn’t look like he could be beaten, but stood no chance when the goal finally came.  Thomas Muller 6 – Upset Argentina by buzzing in and around the defence, but couldn’t come up with a cutting edge.  Mesut Ozil 7 – By contrast, his best game of the tournament. Set up Kroos nicely but the chance went to waste.  Lucas Biglia 7 – Important figure in the midfield, helping shuttle the ball forward and try to supply the attackers.  Germany beat Argentina 1-0 in extra-time, and here’s how the players rated. Bastian Schweinsteiger 8 – Let Messi have a decent amount of the ball but was always on hand to put out fires when needed. Fought hard and took knocks for it, but played a vital and unselfish role.  Substitutes Martin Demichelis 7 – Much better than he has been for Manchester City, a composed and reliable character. Marcos Rojo 7 – A breakout star at this tournament and was just as solid tonight as he had been thus far.  Ezequiel Lavezzi 7 – Surprisingly subbed off at half-time after an enterprising first half. CAused a lot of trouble down the right for his side. Rodrigo Palacio 4 – Wasted a fine opportunity, lobbing the keeper but also aiming wide of the post. Squandered possession a couple of times too.  Sergio Aguero 5 – Came on at half-time but was clearly not fully fit. Worked his heart out but looked a shadow of his usual self. last_img read more

Read More →

Mesut Ozil injury latest: Arsenal and Germany star will be out for 12 weeks with knee issue

first_img He played the full 90 minutes against Chelsea as Arsenal lost at the weekend, but complained about a knee issue when joining up with the German national side.  A statement on the DFB website read: “The MRI examination today at National Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt in Munich revealed a partial rupture of the outer band of the left knee joint. CEST Upd. at 19:42 Sport EN Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil is likely to be out of action for between 10-12 weeks.  Arsenal have a terrible record with injuries and this is just the latest in a string of problems for Arsene Wenger this season. 08/10/2014 “The treatment is conservative, with six weeks of immobilisation of the knee joint. Mesut Ozil is likely to be (out for) 10 to 12 weeks.”last_img read more

Read More →

Real Madrid straight back to work in preparation for Sunday’s match with Celta Vigo

first_img Those that started that Champions League win, including James Rodriguez and Javier Hernandez, took part in a recovery session.  Los Blancos play on Sunday at Balaidos against Celta Vigo (9pm CET) in a game which could be decisive in the battle for the title.  The first two, Modric and Bale, will definitely miss Madrid’s next La Liga match.  The three goalkeepers, along with Alvaro Arbeloa, Asier Illarramendi, Nacho, Jese, Marcelo, Lucas Silva, Sami Khedira and the canterano Javier Muñoz, did some ball work with Carlo Ancelotti. There is no time for rest at this time of the season. On Thursday, little more than 12 hours after they had beaten Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid were back in training.  Upd. at 19:39 EFE CEST 23/04/2015 Madrid’s injured players, Luka Modric, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema, continued with their respective recoveries. A day before, on Saturday (4pm CET), Barcelona will play away at local rivals Espanyol, with Madrid therefore travelling to Vigo already knowing how Barça have done.last_img read more

Read More →

Chelsea have not registered Diego Costa for the Champions League

first_img Costa could not sign for Atleti in the summer due to their transfer ban and will now have to wait until January at least. 04/09/2017 The forward has been registered for the Premier League but not for the Champions League. Costa has publicly said he wants to re-join Atlético Madrid this season and has still not joined back up with Chelsea after the summer break. Chelsea have threatened Costa with legal action if he does not return from Brazil, where he has been while Chelsea have been having pre-season, immediately. Chelsea have left Diego Costa out of their squad for the Champions League, which has led to more speculation linking him with Atlético Madrid in the English press. EFEcenter_img El Chelsea no inscribe en la Champions a Diego Costa CEST IN SPORT.ES Upd. at 17:13 last_img read more

Read More →

Manchester City show interest in Lille attacker Nicolas Pepe

first_img 06/11/2018 Albert Aubach The La Liga side even offered 25 million for the attacker, so it’s unlikely the French club will be prepared to sell him on the cheap.  There has also been reports of interest from Barcelona in the 23-year-old, with Lille president Gerard Lopez appearing to confirm the Catalan club’s interest.  El Manchester City se interesa por Pépé Pepe, who has scored eight goals and set up seven more in Ligue 1 this season, was already the subject of interest from Sevilla in the summer.  Upd. on 07/11/2018 at 15:47 CET IN SPORT.ES Ivory Coast forward Nicolas Pepe is a wanted man, with Manchester City the latest club to be linked with a move for the Lille man.  However, Lopez says: “Even for 100 million euros, Pepe won’t go. We could have sold him in the summer and we did not. He won’t go in the winter. I want him to stay, we want him to stay, he wants to stay and he will play the whole season.  “After that, we’re not a club that can keep hold of players when they have the chance to move to big European sides. It is more than likely that he leaves in the summer, but he wants to stay for now.last_img read more

Read More →

Man City accused of making “prohibited payment” to Jadon Sancho’s agent

first_img Upd. at 14:43 IN SPORT.ES It’s a payment which the Football Association has banned in regards to players who have not yet turned 16 years old — the age when they are allowed to have an official agent.  sport.es Der Spiegel alleges City made the payment to Obasi as part of a scouting contract when it was in fact a sweetner to bring Sancho to the club. Manchester City made a prohibited payment of 200,000 pounds to the agent of Jadon Sancho, Emeka Obasi, when the player was 14, according to claims in Der Spiegel.  El Manchester City, bajo sospecha por un pago prohibido por Sanchocenter_img 23/02/2019 “We will not be providing any comment on out-of-context materials purported to have been hacked or stolen from City Football Group and Manchester City personnel and associated people.” “The attempt to damage our reputation is organised and clear,” City said in a short statement responding to the claim. Sancho, who has since left City for Borussia Dortmund, was at Watford in 2015 when the illegal payment was supposedly made to his agent.  CETlast_img read more

Read More →

Martial rejects contract offer from United, but still on negotiating table

first_imgAdvertisement y8hNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs3mbaWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E8zyef( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 2o0lWould you ever consider trying this?😱bms756Can your students do this? 🌚5ao16Roller skating! Powered by Firework It is reported that the man of the moment Anthony Martial has rejected a contract extension offer. His current deal sees him as a red upto 2020 but his current form makes the Stretford End loyals want him tied up to a new contract.Advertisement The French winger has struggled to enter the first-team fray so far this season. His position at United seemed to be in jeopardy after Martial failed to report for training on the scheduled date. Mourinho was not impressed by the attitude of the winger and wanted him to find a way out of the club , however the Frenchman has stayed and proved to be instrumental this season with three goals in six league appearances in all and once in his three Champions League outings.Advertisement The world’s most expensive teenager Anthony Martial needs to win over the fans after a poor season where he scored only 9 goals and signing a contract extension may be the right way forward for the blistering forward.Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

Frustrated Lukaku reveals his angry response to Mourinho for being dropped

first_imgAdvertisement tn8wrNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs1jwWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E33h( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 8vkWould you ever consider trying this?😱bw0Can your students do this? 🌚z8ooRoller skating! Powered by Firework Romelu Lukaku has been one of the many under-performing Manchester United superstars this year, not scoring since September and delivering underwhelming performances of late. The unimpressive form of the Belgian has given manager Jose Mourinho little choice but to drop him, a decision that has not gone down well with the striker.Advertisement In a recent interview with Bleacher Report, Lukaku revealed his frustrations and his angry response to Mourinho after being initially dropped for their Premier League clash against his former club, Everton.Advertisement “I was like, oh wow, s***, it happened,” said Lukaku. The Belgian was amongst the subs in the match against Everton and was also on the bench for the Manchester Derby after returning from injury. The striker was used only as a substitute for their recent Champions League fixture against Young Boys.“But really I had a conversation with the coach about it and I said: ‘Listen, it’s been a long year and also with the World Cup, I felt a bit tired.’ He saw it. He made his decision. He said I didn’t look happy, that I was angry. And I said: ‘Hell yeah I’m angry. Do you think I should smile? Then we had a little chat and after that we just moved on. It was just like 10 minutes and then from then on it opened something in myself, like a new fire to go and get what’s mine.”, the Belgian said about his boss.Advertisement Nevertheless, the striker also mentioned that he was still one of Mourinho’s favourites at the club but he’d be very honest with the players and that is something everyone had to deal with. He also mentioned that the manager knew that he’d “go through a brick wall for him.”Read full article here :https://onefootball.com/en/team/manchester-utd-21?variable=20181129Read also :Irish club player comes back from the grave after death reports prove to be falseJose Mourinho criticizes the critics Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

PSG and AC Milan in a tussle for Napoli winger Lorenzo Insigne

first_imgAdvertisement agiNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs7qptsWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E99myz( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 7umWould you ever consider trying this?😱4k7hCan your students do this? 🌚1riRoller skating! Powered by Firework Napoli winger Lorenzo Insigne is the latest hot property in the transfer market. The 27-year-old has already scored 13 goals and bagged 7 assists in 38 matches spanning the UEFA Champions League, Europa League, Serie A, and Coppa Italia and, Paris Saint Germain and AC Milan are already in a tussle for it.Advertisement Lorenzo Insigne might go to PSG or AC MilanWhat tilts the tide in the French Champion’s way is the presence of Marco Verratti. The pair helped Pescara achieve promotion from Serie B in the 2011-12 season and since then, the duo has never got the opportunity to play together. While Verratti became a regular feature in the PSG colors, Insigne went back to Napoli.With tensions against head coach Carlo Ancelotti growing, the probability of Insigne continuing with the club is minimal. However, PSG also need to adhere to the Financial Fair Play and Napoli have asked for a whopping 100 million euros as a transfer fee.Advertisement AC Milan is ready to splurge 40 million euros and trade Spain international Suso for the Italian legend. Now, it is up to the player to chose his next destination.Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →